Our web server software generates log files of the IP addresses of computers
that access this web site and of what files they access.
These web server logs are retained on a temporary basis and then deleted completely from our systems. We also may ask our visitors to provide information about themselves.
Use of Information
We use your IP address and files you access to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer our website by identifying which parts of our site are most heavily used. We also use this information to tailor site content to user needs, and to generate aggregate statistical reports. At no time do we disclose site usage by individual visitors.
All personally identifiable information provided by alumni is strictly reserved for use by individual alumni and Alumni Affairs & Development (AA&D) for personal and University-related purposes only. Personal information is shared with third parties or made publicly available only under the following circumstances:
- Printed directories. Directory information, including name, degree, address, phone, and email, may be included in printed alumni directories. Alumni may request to be excluded from directories.
- Class Notes. Information submitted voluntarily through the “Alumni Notes” area of the site may be published in alumni magazines, or re-posted to sites which are not password-protected.
- Provision of services to users. User information may be shared with third-party partners to the extent necessary to provide web services or other offers to users. Any third parties who receive user information for this purpose are prohibited from using or sharing user information for any purpose other than providing services to users.
AA&D has taken reasonable precautions to secure the personal information available through the online community.
- Areas of alumni.harvard.edu where personal information is displayed or can be entered are password-protected to allow access by registered users only. These areas include the online directory, profile update, account management, email forwarding, alumni notes (with the exceptions noted in the “Use of Information” section), discussion groups, Crimson Compass career networking, and registration for some events.
- The site provides a "blind" email function that allows alumni to contact one another without having to make the prospective recipient's actual email address visible to the sender.
- Users have the option to suppress the information fields in their records that they wish to keep private, which will prevent these fields from being viewed by other community members.
Although these precautions should help to protect any personal information available through alumni.harvard.edu from abuse or outside interference, a certain degree of privacy risk is faced any time information is shared over the Internet.
Contacting This Web Site
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this
site, or your dealings with this site, you can contact email@example.com
This web site may contain links to other web sites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites.
Changes to this policy
The effective date of this policy is September 1, 2010.